Are you having first date jitters? You aren’t sure how to make conversation a first date. We have all been there. First dates can be awkward. If you take time to open up like I usually do, then it is even more nerve-wracking.
I hate those awkward silences which whether we like it or not will tend to happen on a first date. If it does happen cut yourself some slack this is normal. You are meeting for the first time there will be some silences.
I have made a list of questions (tried and tested of course) that will help the conversation on a first date.
- Where do you work?
- If you had no obligations or money concerns what is your dream job
- What is the weirdest date you have been on? (this can lead to some pretty funny stories)
- What is the weirdest thing someone has said to you online? (there are a lot of interesting people out there so everyone is bound to have a good story)
- What are you looking for? (this can be a serious question but you want to know from the beginning what the person is looking for because there are a variety of people in the online dating world)
- Are you on other apps? Do you like them? (Whether it’s bumble, hinge or tinder different apps are known for different things. You can discuss the apps and your experiences)
- What is a deal-breaker for you? Or do you have any deal breakers?
- Describe a day in your life
- What do you like to do for fun? ( I like this question more than what are your hobbies because it is more chill. I feel like the hobby question makes me think do I even have any hobbies? Then it makes me feel bad about not having hobbies)
- If you were an animal what animal would you be? (You can get to know a lot about a person through random questions)
- Where do you want to travel next?
- If you were stuck on an island what would you take?
- What TV show are you currently watching?
- What is your favourite TV show?
- Would you rather be on a mountain or a beach?
- What is your favourite food?
- How many siblings do you have?
- Do you live alone?
- Would you say you are introverted or extroverted?
- Favourite flavour of ice cream
- What is your ideal date? (This can help you brainstorm ideas of what you both can do on your next date)
- Do you cook?
- What are your pet peeves
- Do you have a hunch about how you are going to die?
- What is your 5 year plan?
- Do you have any short term goals
These can help you understand the person better. You have to realize on a first date the person doesn’t know you completely so what you say is taken out of context. So if you have a very strong opinion on something it might be taken harshly.
Don’t seem too rigid about things on the first date. Refrain from topics like politics where people can get overly passionate.
I learned it the hard way that if I bring up a controversial topic and am passionate about it the first date I might give of the vibe that I am very argumentative. While in real life I am super chill. The person doesn’t know that they are judging me based on that one event so bring your best foot forward.
Test these questions to start a conversation on a first date and comment below if they worked for you. You can even use these questions as a game on the first date.
If you have moved forward from the first date and want to learn how to build a steady healthy relationship check out the Pigeon Talk blog on How to strengthen your relationship.
We spoke about the questions but if you want to find the answer check out our blog on How to answer what are my hobbies.