Have you been craving a healthy burrito bowl like the ones they make at burrito boys and chipotle? Wondering how they make it and if it is easy? Well yes it is! And it is super healthy. Cut out the rice and beans and its healthy delicious low-calorie salad for lunch. I’ll let you in on some ingredients.
Ingredients for a healthy burrito bowl
- Romaine lettuce (this can be your base and everything else can go on top)
- Red pepper (chopping half of it into small squares)
- I used grilled fish as a healthier option but you can always make fried fish. I use tilapia, squeeze lemon, put salt pepper, parsley flakes and fry it in a little bit of oil. (yum, yum and yum) – For 1 pound fish you will require parsley 1 teaspoon, half a lemon, black pepper ½ teaspoon and ¾ teaspoon salt *adjust according to taste .
- Add some sweet potato
- Corn (don’t use the can one you can just freeze the leftover)
- Salsa (I make the salsa by chopping half an onion and the same ratio of grape tomato’s, squeeze in some lemon, drizzling some salt and cayenne pepper if you want it to be a little spicy) – Buy it from the store if you wish but homemade is always better.
- Guacamole can easily be made by adding salt, lemon, avocado and chilli flakes. – Buy it from the store if you wish but homemade is always better.
- Spicy chipotle yogurt – yes you heard me right I cut out the mayo and make it with yogurt. This includes mostly yogurt and I add a tablespoon of sour cream. *add more source cream if you like. Keep pouring the Sriracha sauce until you get the colour of spicy mayo. For 3 tablespoon yogurt, 1 tablespoon sour cream I would put 1 tablespoon of Sriracha. But I like my food spicy so first try with 1 teaspoon of Sriracha. Squeeze in some lemon, salt and you are done.
- Something crispy – I cut spring rolls pastry into thin strips and then fry it. Before eating crunch it up and it to your bowl. Take this out if you are counting calories.
Put the romaine lettuce as the base. Then put red pepper, grilled fish and sweet potato. Then put the corn, salsa and guacamole on top. As the dressing put the spicy chipotle sauce.
Put all these ingredients together and you will make the perfect salad.
Looking for other easy receipts? Check out the Pigeontalk blog on Thai Red Curry.